Mum - a flower with very soft and long petals; no button in the centre of flower head. The flower is very soft and Cushiony to touch.
Commonly produced as a disbud; sometimes referred to as football mum.
Chrysanthemum sp. is the genus (scientific name) of all pompons, mums, and disbuds.
Some commonly used terms are defined as follows:
- POMPON spray type of chrysanthemum; each stem has several flowers
- CUSHION POMPON - flower is of medium length petals without button in the centre.
- DAISY POMPON - flower with button in the centre.
- NOVELTY POMPON - any chrysanthemum besides white, yellow, pink, and bronze cushions, any novelty colours. All novelty shapes.
- SPIDER POMPON: flower with very long outer petals without button in the centre.
- BUTTON POMPON (dots): Holland/Dutch type novelty poms.
- DISBUD (one single large flower per stem produced by removing all side buds when plant was young):
- FUJI - synonym of spider, except it is not a spray flower.