NOVELTY POMPON - CHRYSANTHEMUM FAMILY
Novelty Pompons are any Chrysanthemum besides white, yellow, pink, and bronze cushions. This includes all novelty colors (eg. variegated colors) and all novelty shapes.
Chrysanthemum sp. is the genus (scientific name) of all pompons, mums, and disbuds.
Some commonly used terms are defined as follows:
- POMPON spray type of chrysanthemum; each stem has several flowers
- CUSHION POMPON - flower is of medium length petals without button in the centre.
- DAISY POMPON - flower with button in the centre.
- SPIDER POMPON: flower with very long outer petals without button in the centre.
- BUTTON POMPON (dots): Holland/Dutch type novelty poms.
- DISBUD (one single large flower per stem produced by removing all side buds when plant was young):
- FUJI - synonym of spider, except it is not a spray flower.
- MUM - flower with very soft and long petals; no button in the centre of flower head. Flower is very soft and cushiony on touch. Commonly produced as a disbud; sometimes referred to as football mum.