Interesting Facts about Calla Lilies:
- Other names: Arum lily, trumpet lily, Pig lily or Minature Calla Lily.
- Calla Lily leaves are edible, whereas the flower and stamen are highly toxic.
- The leaves are a good source of vitamins A & C and folate.
- The calla lily is native to South Africa.
- In the language of flowers, Calla Lilies represent magnificence. The word “Calla” comes from the Greek “Kallos” which means beautiful.
Calla Lilies will add a variety of colour and sophistication to any garden, blooming year round within their climate zone. They can be grown as a garden focal point or as short-lived houseplants. They would be ideal for beds and borders; they would look striking planted in masses. Calla lilies are easy to grow when planted in ideal setting. Plant in spot with full morning sun and moist soil. Space bulbs about 1 foot apart. Fertilize monthly.
These flowers make excellent cut flowers. They are very popular for special events, such as weddings.
Climate Zones: 8-10